This is a listing with environmental volunteer opportunities in Massachusetts. Some of these places welcome kids, please click on the green links for more information.
- Coastsweep. Massachusetts. COASTSWEEP is the Bay State’s annual volunteer beach cleanup organized by the Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management (CZM). Since 1987, thousands of volunteers have removed hundreds of tons of debris from the state’s coastline and waterways. The cleanups happen in September and October only.
- OARS. A nonprofit organization that seeks to protect the Assabet, Sudbury and Concord Rivers. They organize annual clean-ups every September.
- Earth Day Festival. Framingham, MA. Volunteer on the last Saturday of April and help this annual event run successfully.
- Cochituate Rail Trail. Natick and Framingham, MA. The Cochituate Rail Trail (CRT) is a proposed multi-use trail which will extend from the Village of Saxonville in Framingham to Natick Center. They hosts several clean-up days throughout the year.
- Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary. Natick, MA. Broadmoor offers a variety of exciting volunteer opportunities and internships for people of all interests and experience levels. Volunteers are valued members of the Mass Audubon team and provide an important link to our local communities.
- Gaining Ground. Concord, MA. This historic farm grows organic high quality produce for shelters and hunger relief organizations with the help from volunteers of all ages and abilities. Kids 5 and older are welcome.
- Boston Harbor Islands. Boston, MA. Volunteers work on a variety of ranger-guided projects, from habitat restoration to data collection to planting native species at sites around the Boston Harbor Islands park. Kids are welcome.
- Garden in the Woods. Framingham, MA. New England Wild Flower Society offers volunteers a variety of opportunities from marketing to preparing and processing seeds for long-term storage.
- Transition Framingham. Framingham, MA. A completely volunteer run grass-roots organization comprised of people who live and/or work in Framingham MA, and are looking for ways to increase resilience and sustainability in a world of growing population and shrinking resources.
- Sustainable Sudbury. Sudbury, MA. A chapter of the Massachusetts Climate Action Network (MCAN) and is dedicated to raising environmental awareness and sponsoring sustainable, earth-friendly activities in our community and beyond.
- Transition Wayland. Wayland, MA. Neighbors helping neighbors build community and resilience to mitigate and adapt to the challenges of climate change, fossil fuel depletion and economic uncertainty.